Thursday, February 12, 2009

Videos (Things 22)

It's no surprise that You Tube is controversial. Not only is it often a great "time-waster," but a good deal of the content is dodgy. It's appeal, however, is undeniable.

As far as appeal, I can see SchoolTube having much more for students than TeacherTube, from what I've seen thus far. I doubt students would go to TeacherTube unless required to do so, and maybe not even then. Teacher Tube, and even TED, has more for teachers than for the average student.

The real appeal of School Tube, I think, is motivational. I've seen many unmotivated students who really "show up" for a video project, even if it's only shown in class. What generally happens is that it then gets shown to other students, other teachers, other classes, family members, etc. If a video can be a valid form of assessment (and I think it can, with some guidelines), SchoolTube (or YouTube) could be a great asset toward motivation, and ultimately learning.

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard of the new product TeacherTube is releasing? A neighboring school district is beta testing their TeacherTube MySite Classroom which allows a teacher to have his/her's co-branded TeacherTube. How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing my friend just told me as well as I was talking about this post, was she tells me that you can also allow your students to post videos, docs, podcasts, etc... TeacherTube did not tell them yet when they are going to release it, but they have already been using it for 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete